Basilisk 1880
Ferdinand Schlöth
6’31 · CH dialect/DE · de/en · S2/E8 · 2026
Four basilisks and a new bridge—that was the situation at the Wettstein Bridge in 1880. Today only one of these mythical creatures remains to watch over the bridge, which in the meantime has been renovated. Grabmacherjoggi, reputedly a contemporary and eyewitness of the events, recounts the rise and fall of these Basel beasts.
Basilisk
The second bridge across the Rhine in Basel, the Wettstein Bridge was built 1877–1879 as a monumental piece of transportation infrastructure. In keeping with its monumentality it was magnificently adorned by four imposing basilisks perched on high pedestals above the abutment piers. Completed a year behind schedule, the mythical beasts were created by Basel sculptor Ferdinand Schlöth assisted by his nephew Achilles Schlöth. A legendary creature in Greek mythology, around 1440 the basilisk began to appear as a figure holding the Basel coat of arms and was very popular in the 19th century. Made of cast iron, which was widely favored at the time, and through ten separate molds, the basilisks have a height of nearly three meters. Having already cast various components for the bridge, e.g., balustrades, lanterns, and lamp posts, the Benckiser firm in Pforzheim was responsible for the challenging fabrication. In 1936 the mighty beasts were removed when the bridge was widened. They were initially stored in Mühlegraben, then sold and placed at various locations in and around Basel. Following a comprehensive renovation of the bridge in 1995, one of the basilisks–which had been standing in Lange Erlen–was reinstalled at the Grossbasel bridgehead. Now turned away from the bridge, the basilisk’s gaze indicates that it was originally positioned elsewhere, since all the sculptures once looked toward the bridge.
Ferdinand Schlöth
Ferdinand Schlöth (*1818 Basel–1891 Lutzenberg, Appenzell Ausserrhoden) trained as a sculptor, first in Basel and then in Rome, where he subsequently ran his own studio. Back in Switzerland he lived alternately in Basel and in Lutzenberg,which overlooks Lake Constance. He gained recognition and esteem throughout Switzerland with his late Neoclassical monumental works, notably the Winkelried Monument (1865, Stans) and the memorial (1872, Basel) commemorating the battle at St. Jakob an der Birs. In addition, Schlöth produced numerous sculptures, busts, and reliefs. His themes were based in mythology and history and he sculpted primarily in light-colored marble.
Title: Basilisk
Date made: 1880
Artist: Ferdinand Schlöth (1818 –1891)
Materials: Iron
Dimensions: approx. 300 × 300 × 200 cm
Location: Wettstein Bridge (Wettsteinbrücke) / Basel
Mode of acquisition: Commission
Collection: Bau- und Verkehrsdepartement of the Canton of Basel-Stadt
Further Links
Ferdinand Schlöth in the SIKART Lexikon
Anfrage betreffend Erwerb und Platzierung eines zweiten Basilisken – Regierungsratsbeschluss vom 2. Dezember 2008
Vom Werden der Wettsteinbrücke-Basilisken in the Basler Stadtbuch
Ein kolossaler Basilisk im Spaltenquartier – Article in the SpaleZytig
Basilisken am Vierwaldstättersee – Article in the newspaper bz